Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pottery Week 2 and 3 Pieces -- Glazed

Some of the pieces I threw on the wheel in week 2 and glazed in week 3 (I think -- don't really remember) are finally ready. Take a look -- comments welcomed. By the way, if you're reading this on Facebook, you will have to click on the link and read the actual post to see pictures (the summary does not show pictures).

This is a very interesting piece. It is a twisted bowl and I painted (with a brush) all of the twists and turns with Aviva's Blue, Red Iron and Temoku. Then I dipped the whole piece in Shaner White.




This is a bowl shape that is glazed in Yellow Salt and some other glaze that I cannot remember right now. I didn't really like the effect of the dribble because it pooled at the base of the bowl and wasn't very attractive. Gotta try this again with less glaze.



This is a tea cup shape that I embellished by putting grooves on the outside. I then glazed the whole piece in Shaner White and attempted to put Aviva's Blue into the grooves on the outside. I wasn't very successful and I think I need a banding wheel (turntable like device on a stand) to easily work on spirals.



This piece is also a tea cup shape and will probably work better as a tea cup. The glaze on this is Shaner White on the outside and Celadon on the inside. I am discovering that I really like Shaner White. The red part that you see if where I wiped off too much glaze and the raw clay is showing through. An effect to be explored further in future pieces.





This piece is a tea cup shape (I think I can only make tea cups -- LOL) but I don't know if it will be very effective as a tea cup. The lips are curved inwards. I guess I would have to give it a try and see if would cause water to spill out the side of the mouth. This again is done in Aviva's Blue on the outside with Red Iron on the inside and around the lip on the outside dripping down into the Aviva's Blue.



I sort of ran out of ideas for glazing so dipped this whole piece in Aviva's Blue. I thought I would really like the deep blue color of Aviva's Blue but after the piece came out, I thought it was sort of flat and boring compared to the other pieces.



This is my favorite piece (and I can make more than tea cups). This piece is a bowl shape. It is a little small (I am still quite surprise by how much the pieces shrink after they are fired twice) but I love the shape, the elegant curve at the bottom and the little foot. I also really like how the glaze turned out. The glaze is a Temoku that is overdipped part of the way with Shaner White. The interaction of the two glazes causes some sort of spotting effect and the color combination also causes some bronzy/gold color to appear. I will definitely have to try this combination again.


No comments: