Thursday, July 1, 2010

Smoke and Mirror?

I am trying to proof a point.  Look at the picture below.  Looks nice right?  Well, at least I hope you think it looks nice.  This is the smallest of the tripod containers.



I was fooled too -- until I picked it up.  THIS is what the piece actually looks like.



The bottom has fallen off and the reason it did that was because I used two different clay bodies and tried to "fuse" them together.  It would have been fine if I had wedged the two clay body together (homogenize the two clay body) to make the entire piece but what I did was I threw the body in B-Clay and the bottom in Red Iron clay and tried to join them together.  The different ingredients in the two clay bodies led to different shrinkage rate (I think B Clay shrink more than Red Iron clay) and so the bottom caused the body to crack and once cracked, the body became too big for the bottom and the bottom fell out.

So, the lesson:
1.  Never throw two separate pieces using two different clay body and try to "fuse" them together.
2.  Pictures lie!!!!

Now, take a look at the glaze on the inside.  This is Temoku over Shaner White.  I really love how the Temoku is not as intense and add some subtle variations.  Of course, I am a fan of the crazing in the glaze.  This should definitely be repeated!!!



And the lid to the piece actually turned out quite nice.  I think I am going to give the lid a home and throw something to fit.


Finally, the last mug.  This is the most ornate of the lot and I am going to keep it for my own use.  My other mug chipped.



No comments: