Monday, July 19, 2010

My Statement

So -- first attempt at a process statement -- what do you think?


"The technical side of pottery can appear somewhat daunting, even disconcerting, and it is understandable that many students with only limited experience may initially seek to disguise their lack of technical competence by making things which primarily express their "creative" energies."
-- The Encyclopedia of Pottery Techniques, Peter Cosentino

I strive to draw inspiration from within myself and from things around me -- nature, architecture, shopping catalogs, cultural heritage, memories of things I have seen and experience drawn from earlier pieces.

Drawing on the words of Peter Cosentino, I strive to create technically sound pieces to the best of my abilities -- and I strive to continually improve on my abilities with stoneware and B-Clay.  For a beginner potter, it is important to develop an eye for aesthetic and an editing eye.  The advantage of working in clay, after all, is the ability to scrap a less-than-ideal piece and from the scrap will rise another piece -- hopefully better in all ways than the first.

Above all else, I am motivated and dedicated to this art form.

No comments: